Thursday, March 19, 2009

Deceiving America

I work at a grocery store as a cashier, and I can't help but feel disgusted with the tabloid industry every time a customer comes through my line and is astonished at the latest National Enquirer headline. 99% of the crap thats in those magazines isn't true.

1. Why are people so interested in the misery of celebrities? I can't imagine being so interested in the scandalous lives of someone I've never met, that I'd pay $4 for a magazine that reports fake stories.
2. Why do tabloids feel that they have to deceive people to make a buck? Why not report real, true stories about things that actually make a difference to society?

There is a real problem in America...people are more interested in superficial make-believe "he-said-she-said" stories than in the condition of our people, our country, our environment, politics, our wars, and the rest of the world. This disinterest in matters of importance worries me.

Americans....get your priorities in line, please.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, your writing is straight to the point and I couldn't agree more. I have to admit I have looked at perezhilton.com more than once this week, and I don't know why I do it. I think I enjoy looking at how perfected and glamourous some of the stars are, and its so unhealthy. It really has become an addiction in our society, we're worshipping the stars like the Romans and Greeks worshipped their gods.

    I'm also completely fed up with the local news, all the ever have to report is violence and tragedies. Does no one want to hear about the GOOD going on in this city? Its like we crave a good car accident or a person being shot. And I wont even get into commercials and how sexually explicit they have become....I will not.

    ReplyDelete