The last DIY post I made, I spray painted some frames to hang some pressed flowers in. Here's a reminder if you forgot:
Well, I finally pressed some flowers and hung them up!
The red frames in the background are also new ($5 each from Ross!). I put two of the old postcards I bought in Paris in them. I think they look very reminiscent of home and family.
The weekend after my last post, we received an old secretary desk from my mother-in-law. She purchased it from someone who was moving. It was in pretty bad shape. The wood was cracking along the sides and it was very dirty. I couldn't resist, though...I'd always wanted to try refinishing old furniture. I took "Before" photos, but they got lost somewhere. He is a photo of a similar desk, in better shape than ours was, but you get the idea:
Just add some cracks on the side and a lighter wood stain!
After a day and a half of toiling (I don't like to take things slowly), I ended up with this!
I put some wood glue in the cracks on the side, but the crack are still very visible. It just adds to the character, right?
I dont have a knob for the top yet. I want to replace all of the hardware, eventually, but it's not in the budget right now.
Not much up top, but there are a few candle-making supplies in there (I make soy candles).
The drawers are perfect for holding candle containers (I love making teacup candles!) and soy wax!
It's not perfect, but I'm quite fond of it. It's great for holding craft supplies in a non-plastic-drawer way. You just get sick of plastic drawers after a while!
I have some new projects now. I found some real treasures at a thrift shop in Clearwater, and I'm really hoping the damage that's been done to them is undo-able. I have a lot of moisture-damaged veneer to remove (I'm not looking forward to that), a lot of sanding to do, and a lot of painting! New post soon with photos of my new projects!