Thursday, October 22, 2009

Waiting

A lot of life seems to be a lot of waiting.

Right now I'm waiting to see my academic adviser about my degree. I'm considering changing from a BFA in Art Studio to a BA in Art Studio. I will graduate next semester if I make the switch. If not, I'll be waiting here for at least another year, though probably longer because I can't afford to cram my semesters with classes. I'm tired of waiting to graduate...tired of saying, "I can finally get to work when I'm done with school." I have the opportunity to be done sooner, but I'm not sure if its the right choice for me.

The BFA requires a concentration in some art medium. I chose painting...I used to love painting, but this semester its just been a drag. I'm not sure what that means...is it a phase? It probably is; my moods and passions fluctuate more than I can keep up with. There is no reason I couldn't graduate with my BA and explore all sorts of mediums (I love photography and drawing, too).

And then there is the topic of grad school. I need to figure out what I want to get my Masters in. Painting, photography, drawing? What if I went back to creative writing? Education? Art therapy? I have no freaking clue. I need to spend the next year or so figuring out what I want. Its really hard to do that when my body, mind, and soul are stuck in painting classes.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify my desire to graduate earlier than expected. I have no idea. Getting my degree after four years instead of 5 or 6 would be really nice, I have to admit.

Terrifying, intimidating, and overwhelming, yes, all of those things. But nice. Really, really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment